Festivals are a great way to experience a destination in a unique and different way. Whether you’re looking for the greatest cultural experience, the glamour of a film festival or the sheer joy of a music festival – there is something for everyone. Throughout my twenties every summer would be spent going to festivals. Music has always been a big part of my life. There is nothing better than spending a weekend in a field with friends seeing some of your favourite music live.
So here is my run down of the best festivals around the world.
- Download Festival. I couldn’t start this list off without including Download. This is easily my favourite festival of all time. We went every year from 2003 until 2008, where we took a year off. Before returning from 2009 until 2013. The only reason we stopped going was due to me becoming pregnant, and then having a child. We’ve seen everyone including legends like Ozzy Osbourne, Guns n Roses, Aerosmith and Iron Maiden.
- Rock Am Ring, Germany. Another music one, and probably one that has produced the most memories. We went with a large group of friends on an organised trip including travel. It was my first time going to a festival in Europe and it was really interesting to see how different it was to the ones in the UK. Rock am Ring takes place at the Nurburgring in Germany every June, and it is perfect for fans of rock, metal and alternative music.
- Comic Con International, San Diego. It is the largest pop-culture event in the USA. It takes place in July, attracting fans of comic books, movie memorabilia, and pop culture of all kinds. Fans can attend autograph signings, workshops and panels featuring stars from the biggest TV shows and films.
- Oktoberfest in Germany is a must visit for any lover of beer. Oktoberfest is a 16-18 day festival held each year in Munich, running from late September to the first weekend in October. It is one of the most famous events in Germany.
Dubai shopping festival is a little different from the others I have mentioned. However it happens every year throughout the month of January. During the festival, shops offer discounts on their merchandise, daily car raffles and there are fireworks displays. Why not find your holiday to Dubai now?
- Carnevale Di Venezia, Italy. One of the oldest festivals held in Venice. It is known worldwide for its amazing and unique masks that people wear during this event. The festival takes place in February every year.
- Holi, India. Each year the Indian people come together to throw colours and celebrate how the colour unifies them and washes away their differences for the day. Every person in India celebrates the holiday and it is truly a spectacle to behold for a foreign visitor.
- Dia de los Meurtos, otherwise known as day of the dead is a tradition that has been around for centuries. It is a celebrated throughout Mexico, in particular the Central and South regions, and by people of Mexican ancestry living in other places. The multi-day holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and help support their spiritual journey.
- Loy Krathong – Festival of Light is held on the full moon of the twelfth month of the traditional Thai lunar calendar (which usually falls in November). Celebrated nationwide, Loy Krathong is probably Thailand’s most beautiful and enchanting festival.
- Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, New Mexico is a yearly festival of hot air balloons that takes place during early October. The balloon fiesta is a nine-day event, and has around 750 balloons. The event is the largest hot air balloon festival in the world.